Sunday 10 November 2013

Strength in weakness

This photo was taken by one of my favourite kids around the compound, a 10-year-old boy who's discovered how to use the camera (or rather, the Photo Booth app) on my iPad mini in more ways than I previously realised even existed.

Not much to update this time but I do have to confess how immensely grateful I am to our heavenly Father and to our excellent missionary nurses here for bringing me through the past two weeks safe and sound of mind. Words cannot express the dread and trepidation with which I was anticipating being the sole doctor at our hospital when my colleague went on his (much-deserved) leave. Our God knows our far our capabilities can be stretched and never allows us to be tested past them; or else, He gives us the strength to go that extra mile.

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man, but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

John 16:33 "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

In the aforementioned two weeks of working solo (so to speak), I have had more nights of unbroken sleep than while the other doctors were around. The women in labour were considerate enough to present during daytime hours more often than not and I could call another missionary doctor for advice over the phone. Contrast this with the week that has just past: three sets of twins were delivered just yesterday (including one set via C-section and one set at 22 weeks' gestation, i.e. not viable in our context) as well as two babies with severe birth asphyxia (one from likely chorioamnionitis in the setting of preterm premature rupture of membranes and the other from cord prolapse). I am so, so ready for my own break - coming up in just over a week's time, hallelujah!

The following song is dedicated to my longsuffering family who has had to put up with my obstinacy and stubbornness, from my decision to come here (although to be fair, it wasn't my decision per se but rather an attempt to follow what I have perceived as God's calling) to other petty issues I'll reserve for another time. I miss and love you all dearly.

Eloquent by Sanctus Real
I'm as eloquent as an elephant
About as headstrong as the mighty King Kong
On a rampage throwing airplanes
I can't believe you haven't gone away

I'm difficult, argumentative
About as thick skulled as the dinosaur bones
On a display in a glass case
I can't believe you haven't run away

[Chorus]
It must be different through your eyes
Because you look at me like it's the first time
That you've ever seen my face

I'm preoccupied with a crowded mind
I get off track like a train rolling back to the future
Never too sure who'll be here when I come back around
But I'm finding out

I see you the way that you see me
I don't understand the way you see me
- From the album The Face of Love - (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1qXj4XOt8w)

As a footnote (although this news deserves more than that), please find out more about how you can help those recently affected by the catastrophic Typhoon Haiyan, which has already laid waste to areas of the Philippines and is currently heading towards Vietnam and Laos. Apparently there are 10,000 estimated dead in one city alone! You can start here:
World Vision - http://worldvision.com.au/Issues/Emergencies/Current_Emergencies/Typhoon-Haiyan-Philippines.aspx
Compassionhttp://www.compassion.com.au/content/typhoon-haiyan/gkkegp
Samaritan's Purse - https://www.samaritanspurse.com.au/typhoon-in-philippines/
OM http://www.om.org.au/give/find-a-project/philippines-appeal
Barnabas Fundhttps://barnabasfund.org/Poor-Christian-communities-hit-by-Typhoon-Haiyan-in-Philippines.html

No comments:

Post a Comment