- South Sudan has the highest maternal mortality rate in the world?
The UN quotes a 1 in 7 chance of a South Sudanese woman dying during her lifetime from pregnancy-related causes (2,054 per 100,000 live births).
- It also has one of the highest under-five mortality rates in the world?
According to the World Bank & WHO, 1 in 8 South Sudanese children do not live to reach their fifth birthday (121 per 1,000 live births).
- The average life expectancy in South Sudan is only 62 years?
- Nearly 1 in 3 South Sudanese kiddos are malnourished?
- Merely 25% of the South Sudanese have access to any form of health care?
- The poverty rate in South Sudan is over 50%?
- Less than a third of South Sudanese are literate?
- South Sudan was the epicentre of Africa's longest running civil war (over the greater part of the 50 years between 1955 and 2005)? Cost: 1.5 million deaths (population: 9 million).
- South Sudan is the youngest nation on this planet as of 9 July 2011? It celebrated its second independence day just three weeks ago!
United Nations Development Programme: Millennium Development Goal 5
United Nations Development Programme: About South Sudan
World Health Organization: Under Five Mortality
The World Bank: Under-Five Mortality Rate
Save the Children: South Sudan
BBC - Sudan Country Profile
Why did I ask? Because all these stats, these numbers that seem so overwhelming initially, means that the work we do at my hospital here is not for naught. The photo is of the foundation that is being laid for our new special care nursery as well as an expanded labour/delivery suite. Improving the health of South Sudanese women and children is our daily bread (and butter - not that we get that here!). So I'd urge you to prayerfully consider giving towards this service; all the missionary staff here (including yours truly) work free of charge so rest assured that the money isn't going to fund our imaginary Lamborghini sports cars or Hermès Birkin handbags :)
Operating Funds Goal: $238,217 ($19,850/month) - $33,249 raised so far
Capital Funds Goal: $105,844 - $37,225 raised so far
Find out more here: Bet Eman - His House of Hope Hospital for Women & Children
Donate here: Harvesters Reaching The Nations